Whatever support you need during your time at Peterhouse, the welfare team are here to help.

This page provides information on the services offered by the college, the University and other organisations. It is not an exhaustive list, and the websites featured include links to many other charities and agencies.

The current welfare officers are Georgia Hawthorne (welfare-women@peterhousejcr.co.uk) and Rishi Sharma (welfare-men@peterhousejcr.co.uk).

Health and Disability

The College Nurse is Natasha Kear. Natasha is your first port of call for all health-related issues. She holds regular surgery hours in Fen Court during Full Term. Web: www.pet.cam.ac.uk/college-nurse (things have changed quite a bit due to COVID, visit this webpage for up to date information on how to book a slot!); tel: 01223 338222; email: college.nurse@pet.cam.ac.uk. Outside these hours, First Aid can be administered by the porters (call 01223 338200).

Students with disabilities or long term medical needs can contact the university’s Disability Resource Centre. Web: www.disability.admin.cam.ac.uk; tel: 01223 332301; email: disability@admin.cam.ac.uk; address: Student Support Centre, Bene't Street, CB2 3PT.

In a serious medical emergency, call 999 and tell the porters. In other cases, you can get medical advice by calling 111, or by booking an appointment with your GP. New students should register with a local surgery as soon as they arrive.

Mental Health Support

If you’re feeling anxious or low you may want to speak to the Assistant Chaplain, Dean, Nurse, your Tutor, or a JCR Welfare Representative.

You can also book an appointment with Leanne Freear, the College Mental Health Advisor. Leanne’s email is: leanne.freear@pet.cam.ac.uk

Alternatively. you may wish to speak to the College Counsellor , Panayota Manias. To register, please visit www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/cbccouns/peterhouse . Sessions take place on Fridays in 1 SPT, room 4. Students are encouraged to apply to the University Counselling Service simultaneously and take the first available appointment. Out of hours you can talk to someone by calling 111.

The University Counselling Service is open to students throughout the university for individual and group sessions. Students are encouraged to apply to the College Counsellor simultaneously and take the first available appointment. There are also many self-help resources on the website. Web: www.counselling.cam.ac.uk; tel: 01223 332865; email: counsellingreception@admin.cam.ac.uk; address: Student Services Centre (3rd floor), Bene't Street, CB2 3PT.

Practical Advice

Your Tutor is able to provide practical support, including advice on financial hardship. Please see www.pet.cam.ac.uk/tutorial-matters for contact details and drop-in hours. For undergraduates, your Director of Studies is usually the first point of contact for academic issues.

The Students’ Unions’ Advice Service offers free, confidential advice and support to Cambridge University students on a range of issues, including finance, academic problems and welfare. They also maintain a helpful directory of university services and support groups. Web: www.studentadvice.cam.ac.uk; tel: 01223 746999; email: advice@studentadvice.cam.ac.uk; address: 17 Mill Lane, CB2 1RX.

Crime, Bullying and Harassment

Cambridge Police Station is at Parkside. Call 999 if someone is in immediate danger, otherwise call 101. Students experiencing sexual harassment or bullying of any kind may wish to speak to their Tutor or the Welfare Coordinator, make an appointment with the University Counselling Service's Sexual Assault and Harassment Advisor (www.counselling.cam.ac.uk/sexual-assault-and-harassment-advisor), and/or visit the University's Breaking the Silence website (www.breakingthesilence.cam.ac.uk).

Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction

If you are concerned about your own or a loved one’s alcohol or drug use, you can contact the College Nurse (Natasha Kear, college.nurse@pet.cam.ac.uk), College Counsellor (Panayota Manias, please visit this website to register) or Mental Health Advisor (Leanne Freear, Leanne.freear@pet.cam.ac.uk)

Alternatively, please see follow this link to the University Counselling Service website for more information regarding help and support: Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction — University Counselling Service (cam.ac.uk)

× Home
Current Committee Constitution Minutes Accounts Previous Committees Reimbursement Form
Current Committee Constitution Minutes Budget Previous Committees
Overview Welfare Catering CCE Computing Gym Laundry The Dodo
Self-Isolation Welfare Virtual AMALS Fair
Sports and Societies
Overview Rooms List Point Claims History Point Claims Form Room Review Form Groups Ballot Order Double Set Ballot
Report Issue Back to Start

© Peterhouse JCR 2020 | All opinions and information on this website are from the student body of Peterhouse, not the college itself. If you have any concerns or queries regarding anything on this site, please email the JCR President. Thank you.